"Well, most people like it and I like it, and I'm working hard and trying to keep the cost down"

J. Russell Finch CEO & President
The Pacific Edible Seaweed Company
Fresno, CA.

Friday, August 15, 2014

35 Years Ago Today....

"Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right! Unless you were goin' all the way... Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole fuckin' program"



    On August 15 1979 Francis Ford Coppola's APOCALYPSE NOW opened on screens across America. I can still remember going to see it with my Dad on opening weekend and later dragging unsuspecting friends to it a couple of times in the coming weeks before it closed. Whether you think its one of the greatest films ever made or a muddled testimony to a filmmaker's ego run amok its still undeniably an awe inspiring piece of cinema and along with Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE (which to me IS a muddled testimony to a filmmaker's ego), they both forever changed the way Hollywood makes movies as there was no more  "let 'em go off and see what they come back with" mentality in the boardrooms.
   Eleanor Coppola's on the set documentary footage released as HEARTS OF DARKNESS : A FILMMAKER'S APOCALYPSE is one of the more riveting "making of" documentary films that's ever been produced as it charts a descent into madness almost as harrowing as the actual film's fictional voyage up the river to confront Col. Kurtz. In 2001 Copploa re-cut the film adding about 49 minutes worth of footage (some of which works and some of which doesn't) as APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX. Everything is available in a spiffy blu-ray package from Paramount.


2 comments:

  1. I waited a while to watch this one - although I do remember going with the parents to a multi screen theater and seeing something else while they watched this. (I should invest the time in looking up what else was playing at the time...but soooo lazy...) I finally saw it in the last ten years or so. It's a wild and crazy movie - and one that is truly matched for drama and scale by the behind the scenes strife for the filmmakers. I might check out Redux one of these days. Hey! This is a different blog! I'll be working my way through the posts over the next bit of time - looking forward to this blog's entries...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Craig. I just started this one to post about more mainstream stuff every so often. . The Oak Drive-In will still be my main priority.

    ReplyDelete